Saturday, September 28, 2013

Sound sensitivity

My daughter has an extreme sensitivity to certain sounds. This has come to include most sounds made by members of her immediate family. Particularly her parents. Misophonia is selective. So sufferers can be affected by a noise made by a trigger person, but it seems the same noise made by another person doesn't affect them. Luckily she copes fairly well at school and in the outside world - except when she's with me mainly. I have to be careful how I walk - the noises and the movements I make. People with misophonia can have visual triggers to movements in their peripheral vision too.
As I understand it the reaction caused by a trigger sound is an uncontrollable feeling of rage. This is probably one thing that makes it very difficult for people to understand or believe in misophonia. The rage is not always acted out but I get the feeling the acting out is more common in children. Through belonging to support groups I understand that the feeling of anger is not something that can be helped or controlled.
Misophonia causes misery and ill-feeling in families. This is certainly our story. Sometimes Diana is optimistic about the future and other times she can see no future.

1 comment:

  1. I share your pain of having to walk on eggshells. It is hard to remain optimistic but we must. I do believe we will eventually find relief as science catches up with us.

    ReplyDelete