Friday, October 4, 2013

The other night when I'd just gone to bed Trigger Person Number 1 went into the kitchen where Diana was. She totally avoids him - she says all his noises are triggers. I heard, thump thump bang (door being slammed) as she escaped.

She came upstairs in panic mode and knocked on the door. We sat together in the dark while she waited for him to leave the kitchen. I'm Trigger Person Number 2. No problem with my visual triggers in the dark. I put my hand on her head to comfort her. The palm of my hand was resting on the top of her ear - I could feel it moving. She was poking her ears (and the earplugs that she always wears at home) in the dark to block out any sound.

That's one of her coping strategies. She uses it when she's going into a room without knowing what's going on in there. She uses it if she's in danger of being triggered, or to mask noises that catch her unawares. Sadly Trigger Person Number 1 thinks she does it to annoy him. I'd say doing it in the dark means it's for herself.

I thought perhaps this is progress. She didn't rush outside and sit in the car, and the expression of anger was only a door slam. Maturity? Learning to cope better?

It's pretty sad when you can't handle being around your dad.

3 comments:

  1. It is hard to not take being a trigger person personally. In our house, both my husband and I are now triggers. We have to keep reminding ourselves that this is the Misophonia speaking.

    I'd take a single door slam over what we are dealing with right now. (death threats and messages of hate).

    I'd take this as a small victory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Yes she was putting all her coping strategies into play rather than lash out, and I commended her. For a parent it's a struggle getting your mind around these things. I hope it will get better for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A struggle to understand the cause of the door slamming, screaming, throwing things, hate language, avoiding etc etc. We thought our daughter was going out of her mind before we knew what this was. She's calmed down a lot by avoiding triggers but avoiding triggers is another story - still no normal family life. And calm is still not really a good way to describe it. Outwardly a lot calmer but still struggling inside, hypervigilant.

      Delete